bhugagiri

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

The lost Identity

I had a small talk with a Punjabi in subway. I did not ask him whether he was from Punjab but the way he spoke and his gestures were loud enough to tell me that he is.

Walking down to my house from subway, I was thinking abt the way he spoke. I realized that you can guess the native state of an Indian within 10-15 minutes of talk with the person. That of course if you are a Indian. One of colleague was very good at this, without even knowing the name he could differentiate between people in 2-3 minutes.

By the way, how do you identify someone from Maharashatra? I thought for a while, the reply came "He will start talking in Marathi in no time.". Well, but then people from other state start talking in their mothertounge very soon. The other answer that I thought of was the way they spoke Hindi knows as "Bambaiya Hindi".

This one also didn't quite fit in. We have lost our identity. I don't think there in peculiar thing by which you can identify us. But then I think, this is a insider view.

Someone wants to add?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home